5/29/2015

Upper Peninsula Quilt Shop

While visiting relatives in Michigan's Upper Peninsula for the past few days, I was able to go to Marquette. I knew Alley Kat's Quilt Shop was in Marquette. 

However, my first stop was the Marquette Regional History Center where an exhibit in the lobby included costumed narrators sharing history about the Civil War--one of which was a quilter, Judy Parlato. Before the local students arrived, Judy and I were able to discuss quilting. She is very knowledgeable about historical quilting; but she is an art quilter at heart. She told me exactly where to find Alley Kat's Quilt Shop.


What a nice, fun shop. The website is under construction HERE. The changing banner on the home page shows much of what the shop offers.The Facebook page HERE. The staff was very friendly and Kat, the owner, so bubbly. I was happy to be allowed to take photos so I could share with you a little of what this shop is all about. 

They offer a variety of sewing supplies for all interests: quilting, home decor, doll making, art quilting, garments. 

They have a longarm quilter who works in a room (with two large windows) 
off the main entrance.


They sell Elna machines, Handi Quilter and Horn Cabinets.


At the checkout items could be purchased for one's self or gifts. 
They carry Siesta Silver Jewelry (some of my favorite jewelry) by Karla Piper!


Of course, the bright, fun fabrics drew me in for a closer look.
There were books and patterns for every interest, too. 




The art quilting area included fabric paints, Lutrador, everything an art quilter would need. 


Just inside the classroom area I found wools and patterns for projects.


The Children's Fabric Room was set up in a very cute manner with fun fabrics, 
cute samples and many, many patterns!





I just love to collect hedgehogs. 
Here is the finger puppet I bought at the History Center that day:


I found a cute hedgehog fabric 


that I will use to border this Hazel Hedgehog pattern by Elizabeth Hartman.  


I like little panels that can be made into quilts 
with the addition of fabric from my stash, so I bought this alphabet panel. 


I look forward to my next visit to the relatives as well as the chance to return to Alley Kat's Quilt Shop. I hope you are able to visit the shop as well. 

I will add that we had lunch at Donker's, and later in the day had a snack at Babycakes Muffin Factory. Both eateries were pleasant to dine in and had good food. 

What new quilt shop(s) have you visited?


1 comment:

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Oh! That hedgehog collection is A D O R A B L E!!!!! Thank you for always sharing your quilt store visits with us.